CLICK THE HEADINGS TO SORT
|JOHN WHEELER HOUSE||1680||268||Brewster Street||Colonial||
This severely altered house may date back to the seventeenth century although a 1720 date has traditionally been ascribed to it. The roof pitch is in excess of 60 degrees; the framing timbers (including a 22 inch wide summer beam) are exposed on the interior and reveal the great age of the house, A Gothic Revival central gable with a quatrefoil window was added in the 1850s, The chimney from the first floor up was removed and the front fenestration altered in the 1940s, and the front wall has recently been resided with wood shingles and vertical sheathing boards. The side wing, originally a 1 1/2story appendage (probably a summer kitchen), was raised to its present 2 1/2-story height in the late 19th century.
|WOLCOTT CHAUNCEY HOUSE||1769||150||Seabright Avenue||Colonial||
Built as part of a wharf development at the foot of Beacon Street and moved to its present site around 1840, this house is a modest one story structure with a central, chimney. The exterior retains its early wide clapboards and an elaborate Adamesque portico supported by Ionic columns with carved wood capitals. The window sash was changed to 2/2 in the late 19th century. The interior staircase to the second floor, apparently original, is located against the outside wall in the southwest corner of the front parlor
This house is a valuable survivor of a lower class 18th century dwelling. Most other examples disappeared during the 19th century when colonial architecture was held in low esteem. The property belonged to Mr. George A. Wells, and we understand he is congratulating himself upon the disposition of it." The Chauncey House was the birthplace of Commodore Isaac Chauncey, the American Forces commander of the Great Lakes War of 1812.
|GERSHOM STURGES - BENJAMIN PENFIELD HOUSE||1803 - 1836||105||Beacon Street||Greek Revival||
Originally a simple post-Revolutionary half-house, this structure was remodeled at the height of the Greek Revival period to become the village's best example of this style. A Doric order portico was added across the front with flush board siding underneath, the end gables finished, as pediments with a simple, wide entablature, and a new kitchen wing built at the west side. The interior woodwork was also updated at this time and includes an unusual curved staircase with a mahogany ballustrade. The house has remained virtually unchanged for the last 140 years.
|CAPTAIN JOHN BRITTIN HOUSE||1836||140||Ellsworth Street||Greek Revival||
This house, typical of many built in the Greek Revival period in Black Rock, is 2 1/2 stories high and three bays wide with a side entrance and a front gable roof. Originally this front gable contained a full Greek Revival pediment set with an elongated fan window, but this was removed and the window replaced with a round arch Italianate window in an 1890 remodeling. The front and side porches are also later additions (a kitchen wing either added or remodeled in 1890 was later detached and stands today as a separate dwelling at 33 Hackley Street).
Captain John Brittin, a shipyard owner, built this Grecian style house. Victorian additions were made.
|DAVID LOCKWOOD HOUSE||1837||191||Ellsworth Street||Greek Revival||
Two bays wide with a front gable and side entrance, this small Greek Revival house was lowered off its high basement and its veranda was added in the early twentieth century.
The house was built by the village shoe maker, David Lockwood in 1837.
|WILLIAM BOUTON HOUSE||1838||4||Calderwood Court||Federal Greek Revival||
This house is a transitional Federal Greek Revival three-quarter house with fanlights in its side gables.
This typical middle-class house was the first to be erected in the Calderwood Court development
|CAPTAIN THOMAS RANSOM HOUSE||1839||237||Brewster Street||Grecian||
This 2 1/2 story gable front structure, three bays wide with a side entrance and an attic fanlight, is typical of Black Rock architecture in the late 1830s and early 1840’s. It features an unusually elaborate front doorway bordered by Greek Revival style mouldings. The present entrance portico and 1/1 window sash are modern additions.
This elegant house was built for a prominent businessman who founded the private "Select School" on Calderwood Court
|RANSOM CARRIAGE FACTORY||1839||5-7||Calderwood Court||Greek Revival||
Originally built as an unornamented factory building, this structure was raised up on a high basement in the 1850s and converted to a side-by-side duplex. An enclosed veranda across the front has been added.
Built by Captain Thomas Ransom, a local merchant, this building represents one of the first attempts to bring manufacturing into Black Rock. Carriages were shipped from here to New York and the West Indies. The factory was converted into a dwelling about 1870.
|GEORGE PALMER HOUSE||1840||283||Brewster Street||Greek Revival||
Built for an oysterman, this 2 1/2 story fanlight-gabled house differs from other similarly styled houses in the village with its recessed doorway, high basement, and full front gable pediment
The oysterman who lived here shipped oysters by packet boat to New York.
|WILLIAM SHERWOOD HOUSE||1840||9||Calderwood Court||Greek Revival||
Another typical Black Rock Greek Revival house; in this case, the fanlight and cornice have been totally covered with aluminum siding. The window sash has been replaced by jalousies, and a modern enclosed porch extends across the front.
|WILLIAM WHEELER JR. HOUSE||1840||20||Harbor Avenue||Greek Revival||
This former farmhouse is a three bay wide front gabled structure with an attic fanlight. Aluminum siding is a recent addition.
|BLACK ROCK SCHOOLHOUSE||1841||272||Brewster Street||Victorian||
Replaced as a school by a larger structure around 1865, this small 1 1/2 story building was converted to a dwelling in the 1920s, an enclosed front porch, and altered front fenestration date from that time.
The school opened in 1841. Originally located at the corner of Grovers Ave., this building was replaced as a school by a larger Victorian structure around 1865. It served as an auxiliary school for a nuber of years before it was moved to its present site and used as a washhouse for a bottling works.
|DAVID SMITH BARN||1843||3||Calderwood Court||
This structure was converted to a dwelling in the 1850s, It is 2 1/2 stories high and three bays wide with a side entrance. The exterior is covered with stained wood shingles of modern vintage. Demolished, new construction.
|DAVID SMITH HOUSE||1843||259-61||Brewster Street||Greek Revival||
This double house is five bays wide and 2 1/2 stories high with two chimneys, a double central entrance, and a side gable roof.
This house is thought to be the home of the housewright who designed and built other structures in Calderwood Court.
|STURGES SEELEY HOUSE||1851||259||Ellsworth Street||Greek Revival Early Victorian||
Built in an unusual L-shape, this transitional Greek Revival Early Victorian house has an ornamented veranda part way across its front. It remains in virtually pristine condition (a modern wing extends across the rear).
This modest Early Victorian cottage was built by a ship's carpenter and still remains in the hands of his descendants.
Sturges W. Seeley (1825-1905) was a shipbuilder in the Black Rock shipyards. He bought his property from William Wheeler. Martha Seeler Harrison lived there (1858-1923). The Harrison family took over the Black Rock turpentine factory and operated it until it burned in 1880.
|AARON SMITH HOUSE||1853||8 to 10||Calderwood Court||Gothic Revival||
One of the village's earliest Victorian, style structures, this double house shows Gothic Revival influence in its vertical lines. It is 1 1/2 stories high with entrances in opposite projecting wings at the sides. An unusual eight pointed attic window dates from the reconstruction following a circa 1910 fire.
|CAPTAIN WILLIAM HOWES COAL COMPANY||1853||128||Seabright Avenue||Gothic||
It is not immediately apparent what this building looked like in its original form. By the beginning of this century it had been turned into a double house, and a 1940s remodeling gave it its present aspect 2 1/2 stories high with a central entrance, differing little from other mid-twentieth century neo-Colonial dwellings.
|OLIVER BURR HOUSE||1853||228||Ellsworth Street||Early Victorian||
Built by a village house carpenter as his own home, this was one of the first Italian villas in Black Rock. It is two stories high with a flat roof and has a 1 1/2 story gable roof rear addition. The projecting eaves are unusually wide; there are ornate jigsaw porch posts arid curved casings around the front door and windows. Floor-to-ceiling windows open onto the porch.
|CAPTAIN CHARLES ALLEN HOUSE||1854||213||Ellsworth Street||Italian villa||
This house, a flat roof Italian villa, consists of a central projecting pavilion, two bays wide, with flanking side wings. The main entrance is in the south wing, and floor-to-ceiling French windows opened onto a wrap-around veranda (recently removed). The window sash facing front is 2/2; on the other walls it is 6/6.
The schooner Ella Jane was the fastest packet boat on the Long Island Sound. The pennant at the masthead was won in a race. It was owned by Captain Charles Allen, who built his homestead around 1854. Wrap-around porches once complemented the floor-t0-ceiling parlor windows. (This house was originally identical in appearance to the Isaac Jones Houses, which were remodeled around 1910. )
Captain Allen's uncle was Alanson Allen.
|ISAAC JONES HOUSE||1854||227||Ellsworth Street||Italianate||
Originally this house was the twin of the Captain Charles Alien House, Around 1910 the gable roof was aided along with octagonal projections in the recesses between the central pavilion and side wings. Recently the veranda has been removed.
|ELIPHALET WALKER HOUSE||1855||250||Ellsworth Street||Italian Villa Style||
This house is the village's most resplendent example of the Italian villa style. The Palladian window in the front pavilion, comprised of false louvres surrounding a regular size 6/6 window, is similar to others still to be seen in Black Rock (notably on the Captain William Hall House) and In Fairfield. Below it, a double French window surmounted by a heavy drip cap with wooden wave 'motif decoration opens onto a three-sided veranda.
Built for a shipyard and marine railway owner, this flamboyant Italianate house has suffered few alterations over the years. While no larger than contemporary "Box Victorian" houses nearby, the exceptional design of this one reveals the prosperity of its original occupant.
Mr. Walker was a partner in the Walker-Rew Shipyard. The house was built by Oliver Walker in 1840.
|FIRST ARTHUR SMITH HOUSE||1855||260||Brewster Street||Shingle-style||
"This structure was once a front gable 1 1/2 story Italianate cottage with bracketed eaves and a flank entrance. In the first part of this century it was turned one-quarter of the way around, and the present front (formerly east side) fenestration has been considerably altered. A 1/1 window sash (replacing 6/6) has been installed."
Bridgeport's ubiquitous "shingle-style" house with a corner octagonal tower was built here for the owner of Smith's Express Company. Smith wasa a Black Rock native who "made good" in downtown Bridgeport and returned to his old neeighborhood.
|CURTIS RAYMOND HOUSE||1856||245||Ellsworth Street||Italianate||
Built for a worker at Hull's Shipyard, this 2 1/2 story front gable Italianate house has undergone considerable remodeling in recent years. Plate glass windows have been installed, and the front veranda has been removed.
|CAPTAIN WILLIAM HALL HOUSE||1858||87-9||Ellsworth Street||Italian-Gothic||
Black Rock's most impressive Early Victorian house was built at the top of a small hill overlooking the shipyards on the point (operated by the original owner). It is 2 1/2 stories high and three bays wide with a side gable roof. There is a bracketed cornice and a sharp Gothic gable in the front centered, over the doorway. It contains a circular window. Under it on the second floor is a. triple arch false Palladian window composed of blind louvres with a square window in the center. Paired 4/4 windows are used throughout the house. It has been little altered since the time of its construction (an additional front entrance was constructed to serve the second floor when it became a two-family at the time of the First World War).
The village showplace of the ante-bellum period, this Italianate-Gothic mansion was built by the owner of a shipyard. It's design, probably influenced by a plan published in A.J. Downing's architecture of Country Houses, an early builder's handbook, is similar to houses on Fairfield's Old Post Road.
|JAMES CARR HOUSE||1865||82||Beacon Street||Italianate cottage||
A simple, two-bay-wide Italianate cottage with a side entrance, this house is 2 1/2 stories high with a front gable roof, The present front porch is the result of a 1920s remodeling. In the back yard is a good example of a Civil War era carriage barn.
|WILLIAM AND GEORGE GOULD HOUSE||1875||119||Seabright Avenue||Mansard villa||
This double Mansard villa was built facing the harbor for two brothers who were perhaps the most prolific homebuilders in Bridgeport in the late nineteenth century. It was very similar in design to the George Hotel (demolished), a large hostelry located on. the water about a half mile away, which was built by the Gould Brothers in 1876, The house is 2 1/2 stories high, symmetrical, with flanking one story wings and a delicate piazza supported by Corinthian columns (these columns are curiously similar to the lionic ones on the Wolcott Chauncey House across the street, and may have been an early expression of Colonial Revivalism). The original patterned slate roof with iron cresting replaced by asphalt shingles.
The Goulds were builders who built St. Mary's-by-the-Sea Church.
|CALEB HACKLEY CARRIAGE BARN||1884||70||Hackley Street||Gothic||
This gable front 1 1/2 story cottage started out as a side gable board and batten carriage house with a central cupola. It was located on the site of the Ellsworth Field playground behind the eighteenth century Captain Caleb Brewster House (burned 1887), It served briefly as an auxiliary schoolhouse in the late 1890s and early 1900s, and was moved to its present site and made over to a dwelling in 1905.
|WILLIAM NICHOLS GENERAL STORE||1885||191||Brewster Street||American Foursquare||
Nineteenth century photographs show that this building was once a flat roofed three story tenement with a plate glass first floor storefront. Today it survives as a a 1 1/2 story gable front cottage with all traces of the storefront covered over.
|CAPTAIN JOHN BRITTIN HOUSE KITCHEN WING||1890||33||Hackley Street||Greek Revival||
Built as a 14-story rear appendage (see 140 Ellsworth Street), this house was detached in 1938 and made into a separate one family residence.
|HENRY BUNCE HOUSE||1893||34||Hackley Street||Queen Ann||
Erected the same year as the second Arthur Smith House (118 Ellsworth Street) and on an adjoining lot, this house is essentially a scaled-down version of its neighbor. It lacks the tower and has a veranda only across the front.
This "back street" version of the other hosues was built fo thte Bartram familiy's head gardener.
|SECOND ARTHUR SMITH HOUSE||1893||118||Ellsworth Street||Queen Ann||
Built by the Gould Brothers, local builders who lived in Black Rock (see listing for their house at 119-21 Seabright Avenue), this Shingle Style suburban house is 2j stories high with a wrap-around veranda and a corner octagonal tower. The first floor is sided with clapboards, the second floor with novelty shingles.
Mr. Smith was born in 1847 and went to sea at an early age. He became a captain at 17 of a two-masted schooner in the New England trade. He later went into the coal business and then began the Smith's Express which he carried on until his death. Arthur Smith was son of Elizabeth Allen and David Smith (who was a builder and built many houses in Black Rock.
|WILLIAM NICHOLS TENEMENT HOUSES||1894||176-8||176-8 Seabright Avenue and 181 Brewster Street||Queen Ann||
These 2 1/2 story gable front Queen Anne houses were built adjacent to the Nichols Hotel (demolished) and the General Store (191 Brewster Street). Today both lack their original front verandas; 176-8 Seabright Avenue has been covered with wood shingles, and 181 Brewster Street with aluminum siding.
|GEORGE GOULD HOUSE||1896||110||Ellsworth Street||Queen Ann||
Similar in many respects to the second Arthur Smith House next door, with a similar veranda, cornice height, and siding, this house has a side gable roof and. its tower projects off-center from the front wall.
Originially owned by an oyster dealer, this house complements but does not overpower the adjacent Smith house by the clever placement of its similar tower.
|JOSEPH SMITH HOUSE||1904||100||Ellsworth Street||American Foursquare||
This 2 1/2 story late Shingle Style house complements the adjoining Gould and Smith houses and continues their scale down the slope of the Ellsworth Street hill. There is a massive neoclassical porch across the front and south flank.
|WILLIAM BRANDEGEE PRINTING SHOP||1906||4||Seabright Avenue||American Foursquare||
This harborfront structure, now occupied by the Norden Swedish Singing Society, is 2 1/2 stories high with a dormered hip roof, The first floor is faced with granite Belgian block, and the second floor, originally wood shingled.